VWFC v Windsor

26/08/2019 Virginia Water 3-3 Windsor
Hellenic Premier Division
Report by Ceri Jones

Waters' goalscorer Scott Jackson (left)

The bumper crowd of 230 at Stag Meadow were treated to a thrilling derby between tenant and landlord, with neither team deserving to be on the losing side. Virginia Water edged possession and chances, and felt they may have had some grievances on the wrong end of some key decisions, but a draw was probably a fair result overall.

Windsor started the better in stifling heat, and went close a few times before Waters grew into the game.

Scott Jackson saw a goal bound shot saved brilliantly by goalkeeper Sonny Wheeler. Then Waters felt they should have had a stonewall penalty – but were denied - when Finn Evered was upended in the penalty box. The referee acknowledged the foul, but only to give a free kick outside the box. The resulting Josh Hill shot was saved well by Wheeler once again. On 32 minutes, with what was probably Water’s best move, a fluent passing move, saw Jake Baker cross for Jackson to tap in from close range to give the ‘home’ side the lead.

The home defence had a few scares, but they and Matt Jones in goal, held firm to see Waters through 1-0 up at the interval, although Windsor did hit the bar and saw a header cleared off the line. Early in the second half, with Waters in charge, Windsor did equalise. The ball was sloppily gifted to striker Andy Ingram, who hit a great shot from distance beyond the advanced Jones. Soon after it was 2-1 to Windsor, when again, Waters gave the ball away, and allowed Kingsley Etefia to ghost past some challenges and square the ball for a simple tap in for Ingram to claim his and Windsor’s second.

Back came Waters, and it was all square on 72 minutes when the excellent Adam McNamara curled a great shot beyond Wheeler to get the home side back in the game. Virginia Water were once again in the ascendancy, but from a Windsor counter attack, there was more controversy. Hill produced a great block and Jack Simmons thought he had won the rebound, only for the referee to award a penalty without an appeal from Windsor. Luke Brooks-Smith made 3-2 to Windsor on 86 minutes from the resulting spot kick, and left Waters feeling hard done by.

However, deflated, but not defeated, Waters showed great character to bounce back, and Adam Mills saw his shot hit a post, followed by a goal line clearance. With time running out, Jackson played the ball inside to Joel Drew who took the ball in his stride, only to be brought down for an undisputed penalty. Drew himself stepped up to level the scores right at the death and take a point for the tenants.

It was a great game and fair result on the day, Waters wish the best of luck to Windsor for the season ahead.